Frequently Asked Questions

A basic emergency supply kit which includes:
  • One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
  • At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
  • A battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • A whistle to signal for help
  • Dust masks, to help filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Can opener (if kit contains canned food)
  • Local maps
For additional information, visit

Polk County OEM uses the following methods to distribute information to the public during an emergency or disaster:

Yes, there are many underground pipelines and utilities in Polk County, Texas. Please call 811 before you dig.
If you live in an unincorporated area of Polk County, please call our number 936-327-6878 select Option 0 to listen to the burn ban recording. Orders preventing outdoor burning can be viewed on Polk County's website.

If you live within an incorporated city, please call your local City Hall for information.

Effective September 1, 2009, the Polk County Environmental Enforcement Office issued a notice stating that outdoor burning of household waste is authorized as long as the outdoor burning takes place at the residence where it was generated and as long as the waste results from the functions of life within a residence. For example, kitchen garbage, untreated lumber, cardboard boxes, packaging, clothing, grass, leaves, brush and branch trimmings.

The following items are not considered domestic waste and cannot be burned: Tires, construction debris, furniture, carpet, carpet padding, insulation on electrical wire, cable, asphalt products such as shingles, plastics, heavy oils, potentially explosive materials such as aerosol cans, chemical wastes, or items containing natural or synthetic rubber.

If you are unclear about whether or not you can burn a particular item or items, please contact the Polk County Environmental Enforcement Office at 936-327-6820.

When Polk County enacts a burn ban, the order preventing outdoor burning states whether or not residents may burn in a burn barrel. When an order gives residents authorization to burn in a burn barrel, it requires that a metal grate be placed on top of the burn barrel to contain sparks.
Although the floodplain map can be viewed on the Floodplain Page of this website, please call 936-327-6826 and ask to speak to the Polk County Floodplain Administrator to accurately determine if your property is in the floodplain.

If there is an existing structure on your property, it may have a 911 address. Call the Polk County 911 Addressing Department at 936-327-6826 Option 2 to determine if your property has an address. If not, a permit is required to establish a new 911 physical address, so please contact the Polk County Permit Department at 936-327-6820.

Polk County OEM does not address within the city limits of Livingston and Corrigan.