Frequently Asked Questions
  • A basic emergency supply kit which includes:
    • One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
    • At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    • A battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
    • Flashlight and extra batteries
    • First aid kit
    • A whistle to signal for help
    • Dust masks, to help filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
    • Can opener (if kit contains canned food)
    • Local maps

    For additional information, visit

  • Polk County OEM uses the following methods to distribute information to the public during an emergency or disaster:
  • Yes, there are many underground pipelines and utilities in Polk County, Texas.  Please call 8-1-1 before you dig.
  • If you live in an unincorporated area of Polk County, please call Emergency Management at 936-327-6826 and select option 0 to listen to the burn ban recording.  Orders preventing outdoor burning can be viewed on the Polk County, Texas website at or on the Polk County Emergency Management website at under Public Notices.

    If you live within a city limit, please call your local City Hall for information.
  • The Polk County Environmental Enforcement Office issued a notice stating that outdoor burning is authorized as long as the outdoor burning takes place at the residence where it was generated and as long as it consists of, grass, leaves, brush, and branch trimmings.

    The following items are not considered domestic waste and cannot be burned: Tires, construction debris, furniture, carpet, carpet padding, insulation on electrical wire, cable, asphalt products such as shingles, plastics, heavy oils, potentially explosive materials such as aerosol cans, chemical wastes, or items containing natural or synthetic rubber.

    If you are unclear about whether or not you can burn a particular item or items, please contact the Polk County Environmental Enforcement Officer at 936-327-6820 and select option 2 when prompted by the recording.
  • When Polk County enacts a burn ban, the order preventing outdoor burning states whether or not residents may burn in a burn barrel.  When an order gives residents authorization to burn in a burn barrel, it requires that a metal grate be placed on top of the burn barrel to contain sparks.
  • Please call the Permit Office at 936-327-6820, select option 1, and ask to speak to the Polk County Floodplain Administrator to accurately determine if your property is in the floodplain.
  • If there is an existing structure on your property, it may have a 9-1-1 address.  Call the Polk County 9-1-1 Rural Addressing Coordinator at 936-327-6826, option 2 to determine if your property has an address.  If not, a permit is required to establish a new 9-1-1 physical address, so please contact the Polk County Permit Department at 936-327-6820, and select option 1.